Together Creating a Better Plan
We are neighbors and volunteers who support affordable housing and are working together to build a better Cambridge. We welcome new neighbors and additional units at the seven-acre Walden Square site. We want to work with Winn, the city, and our neighbors for a better way.
WinnCompanies Walden Square II Proposal, Revised 2022 is a significant improvement that responds to many of our concerns, as well as acknowledges the shared goal for thriving living conditions. We urge Winn to continue to follow through with their commitment to building AND maintaining quality affordable housing. The community response to Walden Square II- Revised (2022) Meeting on Feb 23 has two outstanding concerns:
- Plan continues to proposed building over Walden Sq. Road
- Plan continues to lack adequate parking (41 spaces for 96 units)
- In addition, there has been no further information from the city’s Community Development Department. We will continue to post updates as we learn more.
Since Feb 23, 2020:
- Winn has not publicly announced their next steps in moving forward.
- There are alternative designs that maintain the unit count without building over the road.
In support of our neighbors at Walden Square I, we strongly support the efforts of Mayor Sumbul Siddiqui, Vice Mayor Alanna Mallon, to address maintenance issues of Walden Square I units prior to authorizing funding for new construction. We look forward to working with the Mayor, Vice Mayor, and Cambridge City Councilors to ensure that Winn development builds to decent community standards. (Read Mayor’s Letter)
To work with Walden Neighbors get involved in improving our affordable housing, please sign letter to Mayor (coming soon.)
Site updated: Nov 15, 2022